We Are Hiring!
Title of Position: Volunteer & Communications Coordinator
Date Position Available: January 9, 2023
Position Reports To: Deputy Director
Position Is: Full Time (40 hours a week); Flexible Hours; Evening and weekend work required occasionally
Promising Pages (www.promising-pages.org) is the Charlotte Area Book Bank! Our mission is to collect new and donated books and share them with children living in the Charlotte Area Book Desert: those with few, if any, books at home. We work to create a culture of book sharing and ownership. Promising Pages envisions a world where all children have home libraries of self-selected books, can see themselves reflected in the books they read, and have made reading a joyful habit for a lifetime..
Promising Pages is looking for a self-motivated, detail oriented, positive leader to join our small but mighty team. The Volunteer & Communications Coordinator will report to the Deputy Director, and will work closely with both the Deputy Director and the Executive Director in this new, multifaceted role.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Volunteer Management: Recruiting and retaining volunteers, and coordinating their work and other engagement opportunities;
- Marketing & Communications: Helping us tell the Promising Pages story to existing constituents and the general public;
- Stewardship & Outreach: Nurturing existing relationships with monetary donors, book donors, other in-kind donors, and volunteers; connecting with prospective new donors and volunteers.
- Serve in a relationship-building capacity with volunteers and donors
- Recruit, schedule, manage, and provide follow up with Promising Pages volunteers
- Work closely with Operations Manager to post and fill warehouse volunteer shifts
- Work closely with Program Manager to post and fill program volunteer shifts
- Track, manage, and report volunteer data through Salesforce
Marketing & Communications
- Assist Deputy Director with Marketing & Communications Strategy Implementation
- Create content for social media, website, newsletter, etc.
- Assist with creation of marketing content and implement content calendar across social media platforms
- Create graphics & marketing material in Canva (or similar platform)
Stewardship & Outreach
- Support Executive Director and Deputy Director with donor stewardship tasks
- Manage donor data in Salesforce
- Prepare and send donation/grant acknowledgements and gift receipts
- Communicate with existing and potential donors via email, phone, social media, etc.
- Promote Promising Pages at speaking engagements, events and throughout the community
Other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Experience, and Characteristics:
- Passion for nonprofit work, and for Promising Pages’ mission
- 1-2 years’ experience as a nonprofit volunteer and/or professional
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to relate to a wide variety of individuals and groups
- Ability to take initiative with strong prioritization skills and follow-through
- Effective problem solving skills
- Proficient computer skills with a working knowledge of Google Workplace (Docs, Sheets, Slides) or Microsoft Office
Highly Desirable Skills, Experience, and Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Communications, Education, or related field
- Volunteer leadership/management experience
- Fundraising, grantwriting, and/or event planning experience
- Curiosity & creativity
- Salesforce or other CRM experience
- Marketing design skills and/or experience
- Multilingual (Spanish/English) proficiency
Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
$30,000-$32,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Promising Pages offers regular employees benefits such as FICA and Medicare, along with holidays and other paid leave. While we are not able to offer health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability insurance, or retirement benefits at this time, regular full-time employees do receive a stipend to help cover healthcare costs, and are entitled to at least 20 days (4 weeks) paid time off (PTO) per fiscal year, to be allocated for vacation, illness or personal business.
Please email an updated resume and cover letter (in .pdf format) to [email protected] (subject line: Volunteer & Communications Coordinator) by November 7, 2022. Please include a link to your LinkedIn profile. No phone calls will be accepted. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement / Nondiscrimination Policy (April 2021)
As we work to fulfill the mission of Promising Pages, we embrace the diversity of our communities, create opportunities for equity, commit ourselves to fairness, and promote inclusion of all people. Accordingly, we do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national/ethnic origin (ancestry), sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, military/veteran status, religious belief and/or affiliation, political belief and/or affiliation, socioeconomic status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to: all areas of employment and volunteer participation; selection of volunteers, partners, and vendors; and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all staff, volunteers, partners, clients, vendors, and other constituents.