We hope you’re all doing well and are staying safe and healthy.
With Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools closed for the rest of the school year, grab and go meals are being provided for students who need them. CMS has asked Promising Pages to provide books to supplement those meals, so that students can maintain their reading skills during this unexpected hiatus.
Between March 16 and May 15, we’ve distributed more than 47,000 books to students, and expect that number to continue to grow in the coming weeks. As an essential provider of social services to economically disadvantaged individuals, we are continuing our work during this time, taking all necessary and prudent precautions to preserve the good health of ourselves, each other, and our families. If you would like to get involved, please see below for ways to participate in our efforts.
Ways to Get Involved (without leaving your house)
1. Donate Money – Our operating costs are small, but our community’s needs are huge. The more donations we receive the more children we can help.
2. At-Home Projects – We have several family-friendly projects that you can do from the safety of your own home. In each case, once you are done completing the projects, you can mail them to our Operations Center (4020 Yancey Rd. Charlotte, NC 28217) and we will distribute them to our community partners.
- Bookmarks – You can print out these fun Bookmark Templates and get to stylizing.
- Appreciation Letters – If you would like to send hand written words of encouragement to the students and teachers in our community, you can download these Bookworm Letters and/or Teacher Appreciation Letters templates. Don’t miss our YouTube video on Philanthropy with Kids and take the Thank You Note Challenge.
- Bookworm Buddies – If you are feeling a little more creative and like to construct things, download our instructions to make adorable Bookworm Buddies. Bookworm Buddies are meant to encourage young readers to read often and with a friend!
3. Donate Books – We are NOT accepting in-person book donations, but donations of fewer than 200 books can be placed in our 24-hour South End donation bin across the street from 204 E. Peterson Dr., Charlotte, NC 28217. Look for the brown metal donation bin outside of the CBI warehouse fence. If you’d like to receive a donation acknowledgement, please be sure to include a slip of paper with your name, contact info and the amount of books you donated. If you have more than 200 books you’d like to donate, please email [email protected].
4. Virtual Book Drive! – Since we are still not accepting in-person book donations, we’re continuing our Virtual Book Drive! We’ve already sent out tens of thousands of books, and will need to replenish our supply when the time is right. Here’s how you can help, without leaving home:
- Collect any books you’d like to donate to Promising Pages.
- Take a photo of the books (stacked or boxed up) with the number of books prominently displayed.
- Post your photo on social media and tag us! We are on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- We will make a note of your visual book pledge, and will let you know when the time is right for you to bring the books to us.
5. Online Book Donations – Don’t have books at home to donate? You can still help by purchasing books from our Book Wish List on Amazon.
We will be in and out of the office during this time, but feel free to contact us by email ([email protected]) if you have any questions.
Please take care of yourselves and each other. Thank you!
–Your friends at Promising Pages
P.S. Recent media coverage about our COVID-19 response: