We hope you’re all doing well and are staying safe and healthy.
When Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools closed in March, CMS asked Promising Pages to provide books to help students maintain their reading skills during this unexpected hiatus. Between March 16 and July 31, we distributed nearly 103,000 books to students served by CMS and other partners. As an essential provider of social services to economically disadvantaged individuals, we are continuing our work during this time, taking all necessary and prudent precautions to preserve the good health of ourselves, each other, and our families.
How You Can Help!
1. Donate Money – Our operating costs are small, but our community’s needs are huge. The more donations we receive the more children we can help.
2. At-Home Projects – We have several family-friendly projects that you can do from the safety of your own home. In each case, once you are done completing the projects, you can mail them to our Operations Center (4020 Yancey Rd. Charlotte, NC 28217) and we will distribute them to our community partners.
- Bookmarks – You can print out these fun Bookmark Templates and get to stylizing.
- Appreciation Letters – If you would like to send hand written words of encouragement to the students and teachers in our community, you can download these Bookworm Letters and/or Teacher Appreciation Letters templates.
- Bookworm Buddies – If you are feeling a little more creative and like to construct things, download our instructions to make adorable Bookworm Buddies. Bookworm Buddies are meant to encourage young readers to read often and with a friend!
- Origami Bookmarks or Book “Band-Aids” – These fun little corner bookmarks can also be used to stabilize the damaged corners of books like a Band-Aid!
4. Donate Books – Donations of fewer than 200 books can be placed in our 24-hour South End donation bin across the street from 204 E. Peterson Dr., Charlotte, NC 28217 (look for the brown metal bin outside of the CBI warehouse fence). If you’d like to receive a donation acknowledgement, please include a slip of paper with your name, contact info and the number of books you donated. (please no drop-in book donations)
If you’d like to donate more than 200 books, please contact Dana Barber ([email protected]) to arrange for contactless dropoff and pickup.
We will be in and out of the office during this time, but feel free to contact us by email ([email protected]) if you have any questions.
Please continue to take care of yourselves and each other. Thank you!
–Your friends at Promising Pages
P.S. Recent media coverage about our COVID-19 response: